Sunday, October 9, 2016

What I want to say to my younger self


I have a birthday coming up... so I'm reflecting right now.

I'm not dwelling on the past...but reflecting on relationship mistakes that I've made and I'm learning from them.

If I had to say anything about relationships to my younger self, I'd say go for the nice guy! Bad boys will get you no where in life. Pretty faces fade, but character will always remain.  Occasionally, I talk to ex boyfriends just to catch up.  Some of them seem to have made changes for the better, but it's QUITE interesting at how so many of them have never changed.  It's like I'm talking to the same person I dated 20+ years ago.  Interesting...this isn't good.

I'd tell myself to leave the jocks and professional athletes, etc. alone.  From my experience, there's hardly any future with a man who constantly relives his past athletic accomplishments and refuses to move on with life and to live in the present. It's like they live in a perpetual state of the "Way back machine". Always wanted to talk about when they starred in a basketball game 30 years ago.  It's time to let that go and move on.  You're not that person any more lol

I'd tell myself that when you go to college, major in what you want to major in. And go to the college that YOU want to go to. One of my biggest regrets is that I never majored in what I wanted to major in.  I can remember as far back as 2nd grade saying that I wanted to be an art teacher.  I should have stuck to my guns and did what i loved.  Instead I let other people's opinions influence my decision for my future.  Chalk it up to being eager to please other people before making myself happy.  Do whatever for YOURSELF and don't worry about what others will think.  Don't make decisions based on what you think your family or friends will think, say, or react.

I'd tell myself to not walk away from relationships so easily.  I admit, that was my thing to do.  If I didn't like how something was going, i chucked those deuces up real quick and thought nothing of it.  Instead of staying around and working on the relationship, I bounced.  I realized a few years ago that I'm a runner.  So I promised myself that in my next relationship, I would try my best to stick around.  Seriously. I'm for real with this. lol

But the most important thing that I wish I could say to my young self is get the hell out of Mercer County, PA.  This is not a place for a certain group of people to be prosperous, professional, or most importantly, treated fairly.  I had a few opportunities to leave the area and further my career, but I turned them down because I had a small child at the time.  If I had to do it again, I'd pack my kid up and hit the road.  But for now, I'm counting down to leave...967 days to be exact.

I'm sure we have all done something in the past that we wish we would have done differently. At the end of the day, there are some things in my  life that if given a second chance, I would change them.  But for the most part, I wouldn't change a thing.  I love being who I am and I love my life and my family. I'm healthy, wealthy, and wise...well two out of the three isn't bad.  I'm working on being wealthy ;-) 

Please be sure to sign up for automatic delivery of my blog.  Right up there at the top of the right side of the page.  Be sure to respond to the verification email in your inbox! 

No comments:

Post a Comment