Thursday, May 29, 2014

A matter of opinion..standing on a soap box

Last week, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania declared that it is unconstitutional to ban gay people from being legally married to each other.  Of course, the social media world went crazy! There were opinions in support of and some against the ruling.  And since Pennsylvania is one of just a few states to legally recognize marriages between two women or two men, one can say that while it's not unprecedented, it's still kind of "new" in this day and age.

Ok let me say this right here and right now, I am in no way saying that I'm FOR gay marriage, and I'm not saying that I'm against gay marriage.  And while some people are either strongly for it, some are strongly against it. I guess, to each his own.

While I have no personal opinion about the legalities and such, I do feel some kind of way about the negative comments being made against same sex marriage.  I do believe in freedom on speech and the right to have an opinion about whatever their heart desires.  But let's keep it real here.  Having an opinion is like having a "you know what".  Everybody has one.  And while everyone has an opinion, I begin to take offense to those who act like they never committed a sin or two or three or four in their lifetime.  I don't always comment on things that i see, but i do read every thing that i see.  I often keep my opinions to myself out of respect to that person.  

I noticed though that a lot of negative comments were being made by "Christian" folk.  Now don't get me wrong here.  I was born, raised, and baptized in the AME church and I will never stray away from my beliefs and the teachings of the AME Church.  I believe in what the Bible says is wrong and right.  I believe and respect what is "pleasing in the eyes of God".  With that being said, I know that I've stumbled QUITE A FEW times.  I've sinned more times than i care to admit. I've broke way too many commandments in my lifetime as well.  However, I recognize that I'm not perfect and that my sins are no greater and no less than the next person's sins. I grew up believing that not one sin is greater or lesser than the other sin. A sin is a sin. Ok so my question is this.  How come the "Christian" folk don't get this? 

Donnie McClurkin says in his song, "A saint is a sinner who fell down and got back up". We are all sinners saved by the grace of God.  And while you can have an opinion or a belief about something that the Bible says is wrong, tell me this, did you have such a strong opinion of your actions when you were breaking the Laws of God? The last time I checked, fornicating, lying, cheating, stealing, lusting, gossiping, adultery, trespassing, coveting, etc. were ALL sins listed in the Bible.  I'm sure a few of you have engaged in these "accepted" sins at some point in your life, haven't you? 

It's easy to stand on the proverbial soap box and "preach" about what's wrong and what's right.  Just understand that everything in your life isn't pleasing in the eyes of God.  It doesn't matter if you've answered the call to God, become a deacon or a stewardess, head of the choir or usher boards or whatever.  You're a sinner just like everyone else on this planet.  So instead of standing on that soapbox, get off of it, and move on.  Again, I'm not saying that a person can't have an opinion or that they can't or shouldn't have and respect a religious belief. All I'm saying is, don't forget where you came from.  

Let me end this with a quote from the Bible.  You know, that book that has all the laws of God in it?  "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." John 8:7

Until next time,
~Kavon

No comments:

Post a Comment