Sunday, May 11, 2014

The Impersonal Person

In an age of technology, there has been an over abundance of acts that have outweighed the personal-ness of our lives.  Today, I received a plethora of text messages saying "Happy Mother's Day".  I understand that the opportunity to send a text message to a friend or loved one is much greater than actually catching that person on the phone and having a conversation with them.  I'll admit, had i received a phone call from every person that text me this morning, i would probably still be talking to people on the phone.  I'm ok with receiving a text message from my friends and acquaintances because we're all busy people and it just makes more sense to get a message from them.  But what happens when a person texts you or posts something on Facebook, in serious obscurity mind you, when they should be the person who calls you personally.  These people are parents, special friends, or significant others.  At what point should the line be drawn on the determination of The Impersonal Person? I got a text message from a guy this morning and I have to admit, i was HIGHLY offended.  We're not in a relationship, but our situation merits more than an impersonal greeting.  I didn't respond to his message for about 6 or 7 hours.  Probably because I wasn't going to respond. I wasn't expecting any kind of gift or anything, but I sure wasn't expecting an impersonal text message.  So i responded by saying that i was highly offended that, basically, he didn't think enough of me to pick up a phone and say Happy Mother's Day dog.  He didn't respond.  I think  i made my point.
I was waiting for another well wish from someone close to me.  I never heard from them, but as i was pouring through the many well wishes that i had gotten on Facebook, I saw that "well wish" buried in an obscure comment that i wasn't even tagged in.  Talk about a hurt piece. Sometimes I wonder why I even care so much. 

I'm writing this because we as a society have to get over the impersonal actions that we exhibit on a daily basis.  I admit, I'm a texter too.  My reasoning is that I'm at work and it doesn't look right to be sitting in my office talking on the my cell all day.  But texting kills a relation ship.  Texting will lead to all kinds of problems, with the main one being misinterpretation.  How many times have people gotten into texting arguments over a misinterpretation of the tone or words texted? There's no personal tone in texting and a few words can be misinterpreted and before you know it, all heck done broke loose! 
But at what point is it ok to text and not to text? Who is it ok to text and who is it ok to call? I read Steve Harvey's book a few years ago, "Act like a Lady, Think like a man".  And based on what I read, clearly the writing is on the wall.  If he thought enough of me, he wouldn't be that Impersonal Person and send a text  message to me on a day that's set aside to celebrate motherhood.  All I can say is that, I won't be having any more dealings with this guy any more. 

Disclaimer: This will be the first and last time i write about a personal incident that offended me.  I will continue to write about experiences and not feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment